THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.
I love to whip up a big batch of wild rice to use as a base for burrito bowls, roasted veggies, and grilled/baked animal proteins.
Wild rice tastes great warm and cold, so any dinner you make can easily transfer to the next day’s lunch.
Unfamiliar with wild rice? Here are some fast facts:
- While related to white and brown rice, wild rice is actually not rice at all. It’s the seed of an aquatic grass.
- Wild rice boasts twice as much protein as regular white/brown rice.
- Its fiber content is about the same as brown rice.
- Wild rice is chewier and has a more “vegetable” taste than regular white/brown rice.
- Aside from protein and fiber, it contains:
- Vitamin B6
- Small amounts of iron, potassium and selenium
As you can see, wild rice is a great alternative to regular rice, especially due to its nutrient, protein, and antioxidant content.
The one downside is that its flavor can be a bit funky. That’s why I’ve come up with this delicious recipe!
Wild Rice Recipe
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 1 tablespoon ghee (or butter)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil extra virgin
- 1 cup bone broth*
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup wild rice**
- Place pot on stove. Cook onions and garlic in avocado oil on medium heat for 3-5 minutes, or until sizzling and golden brown.
- Add ghee (or butter), olive oil, broth, water, and rice to pot. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to maintain a low simmer; cover. Cook for 50 minutes.
- Remove from heat (keep covered) and let sit for an additional 10 minutes. Fluff with fork and serve.
- (If rice is too firm after cooking, it may be necessary to add 1-2 tablespoons water/broth and cook 5 minutes longer.)
And, when you make this recipe yourself, be sure to take a picture for social media and tag us (@thehealthinvestment) with the hashtag #thehealthinvestment
What do you think? Will you add wild rice to your repertoire? Share questions/thoughts in the comments!
⇒ Wanna work with me one-on-one? I provide expert coaching through a foolproof formula: $elf-awareness + $ustainable habits + $imple swaps = lifelong WELLth! Click here to learn more!
⇒ To optimize every aspect of your health, visit My Favorite Things! There, you’ll find links to healthy packaged foods, toxin-free products, and overall wellness boosters.
⇒ Like this recipe? Then you’ll LOVE these!
- “The Easiest, Most Flavorful Slow-Cooker Pulled Pork”
- “Caprese Pasta w/ Brie…And I Make It Gluten-Free!”
- “Healthy + Easy + CRISPY Sweet Potato Fries”