EPISODE 60 | Michael Winterdahl, PhD, leads a multidisciplinary research group at the Department of Nuclear Medicine and PET Center at Aarhus University, Denmark, which aims to understand the effects of neuropeptides on human behavior by using a combination of state-of-the-art brain scanning methods, cognitive neuroscience theory, and animal models. I was particularly interested in Dr. Winterdahl’s research on the effects of sugar on the brain…which is why I wanted to have him on the podcast! In the episode, he shares the experiment he set up to measure the effect sugar has on the brain, the results of his experiment, what the results mean for humans…and more! Enjoy!!
EPISODE WEBPAGE: thehealthinvestment.com/sugar2
P.S. – If you’re liking The Health Investment Podcast, be sure to hit “subscribe/follow” so that you never miss an episode 🙂
QUESTIONS I ASK DR. WINTERDAHL IN THE EPISODE:
- What’s your story (specifically, what led you to become a researcher)?
- Was there something particular that inspired you to research the effects of sugar on the brain?
- Can you describe the experiment you set up with pigs? (How similar is a pig’s brain to a human brain?)
- What were your findings from that experiment? Does the brain really react to sugar in the same way it reacts to drugs (like cocaine)? (I’ve heard this before—but maybe it’s a myth!)
- Is it just refined sugar that has a detrimental effect on the brain, or is it all sugar (natural too)? What about artificial sweeteners?
- If someone feels addicted to sugar, what can they do?
- Can you touch on the long-term damage that eating too much sugar can have on the brain?
- What are some questions you hope to answer through further research?
LINKS [SOME MAY BE AFFILIATE LINKS; PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO]:
- Follow Dr. Michael Winterdahl on LinkedIn
- View Dr. Winterdahl’s research on the effects of sugar on the brain
- “My Unbiased Thrive Market Review (AND A Shopping List!)” – save money on your first Thrive Market order by clicking here
- Click here to lose 5-50 pounds for the LAST time through sustainable habit change + mindset shifts so you can start living your BEST life as the trimmest, healthiest, most confident, most energized version of yourself!
- Follow The Health Investment Podcast on Instagram
- Follow host Brooke Simonson on Instagram
- Email Brooke: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Shout out to Christian Juarez for the theme music! (Click here to visit his Soundcloud!!)