EPISODE 75 | Dr. Meredith Broderick is board certified in neurology, sleep medicine, and behavioral sleep medicine. She is one of the only physicians in the country to hold this combination of board certifications. Dr. Meredith practices the full scope of sleep medicine treating conditions such as insomnia, narcolepsy, parasomnias, circadian rhythm sleep wake disorders, restless legs syndrome and sleep disordered breathing including all forms of sleep apnea. She has a special interest in treating insomnia without medications utilizing a state-of-the-art treatment also known as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia (CBT-I). In the episode, Dr. Meredith shares how to take a personalized, nuanced approach to sleep; whether or not it’s okay to sleep less than 8 hours each night; why she’s not a fan of the term “sleep hygiene”…and more! Enjoy!!
EPISODE WEBPAGE: thehealthinvestment.com/sleep
P.S. – If you’re liking The Health Investment Podcast, be sure to hit “subscribe/follow” so that you never miss an episode 🙂
QUESTIONS I ASK DR. MEREDITH IN THE EPISODE:
- What’s your story? (Specifically, what led you to become a triple board certified sleep doctor?)
- How do you define “sleep”?
- How would you describe “circadian rhythm?” How can we optimize our circadian rhythm?
- How much sleep should we be getting each night, on average? Is 8 really the “magic number”?
- What are the biggest mistakes you see your patients, friends, and family making when it comes to sleep?
- What are your best tips for getting high-quality sleep? (Room temperature? Nighttime routine? Morning routine? Caffeine? Elimination of ALL light? Blue light-blocking glasses? Sunlight simulator alarm clocks?)
- Let’s talk supplements: YAY or NAY when it comes to things like magnesium, melatonin, and CBD?
- How detrimental is “social jet lag” (going to bed later and waking up later on weekends than you do on weekdays)?
- Speaking of jet lag…when traveling, what’s the best way to adapt to different time zones and sleep restfully?
- Are “power naps”—or longer naps—a good habit to get into?
- What role (if any) do exercise and nutrition play when it comes to sleep?
- A lot of people on social media claim to be “sleep experts.” What are some of the biggest myths and misconceptions about sleep you see circulating the Internet?
LINKS [SOME MAY BE AFFILIATE LINKS; PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO]:
- Follow Dr. Meredith on Instagram
- Visit her website: soundsleepguru.com
- Take the Morningness-Eveningness Questionnaire
- Replace the bulbs in your bedroom lamps with “bedtime bulbs”
- “My Unbiased Thrive Market Review (AND A Shopping List!)” – save money on your first Thrive Market order by clicking here
- Click here to lose 5-50 pounds for the LAST time through sustainable habit change + mindset shifts so you can start living your BEST life as the trimmest, healthiest, most confident, most energized version of yourself!
- Follow The Health Investment Podcast on Instagram
- Follow host Brooke Simonson on Instagram
- Email Brooke: email@example.com
- Shout out to Christian Juarez for the theme music! (Click here to visit his Soundcloud!!)