THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.
Fact: Not all corn kernels are created equal, and not all popcorn is healthy!
Over the years, corn crops—like most fruits and vegetables—have been genetically modified into versions that are tastier but less nutritious than their ancient counterparts.
⇒ To learn more about the poor nutrient profiles of modern fruits and vegetables, read “Breeding The Nutrition Out of Our Food” from The New York Times.
Further, most microwave popcorn contains preservatives, toxic “vegetable” oils, artificial flavors, and even sugar. Though these easy-to-pop bags are marketed as “healthy” snacks, they’re not.
⇒ To learn why I wrote “vegetable” in quotation marks and also why these oils are toxic, read my prior post “Canola Oil vs Vegetable Oil: Which Is Healthiest?”
Fear not! After much research/trial + error, I’ve discovered an easy recipe to make the most flavorful, healthiest popcorn!
The "Cheesiest," Healthiest Popcorn
- 1/2 cup Tiny But Mighty popcorn kernels*
- 3 tablespoons avocado or coconut oil (for cooking)**
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (for drizzling)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast***
- Old Bay seasoning (optional)
- Ghee (optional)
- Pop the Tiny But Mighty kernels. Follow the directions on the package:Place a large heavy-bottom pot on stove and turn burner to medium-high. Immediately add 3 tablespoons oil and a few test kernels to the pot.Once test kernels pop, add 1/2 cup kernels to pot. Gently shake pot to evenly coat kernels in oil, then cover with lid.Kernels will begin to pop vigorously; once popping slows to 1-2 seconds between pops, carefully pick up pot and shake a couple times (do not overshake), then return to stove.Turn off heat and remove pot from burner. Slightly crack the lid to allow steam to escape (do not let steam near hands or face).Pour popcorn into a bowl, season to taste and enjoy!
- Season with olive oil, salt, pepper, nutritional yeast, Old Bay (optional), melted ghee (optional)...and any other spices that strike your fancy!
- "Canola Oil vs Vegetable Oil: Which Is Healthiest?"
- "Is Extra Virgin Olive Oil Good For You? An Expert Explains."
ENJOY the most flavorful, “cheesiest,” healthiest popcorn!
⇒ To optimize every aspect of your health, visit My Favorite Things! There, you’ll find links to healthy packaged foods, toxin-free products, and overall wellness boosters.
⇒ If you liked this easy recipe, you’ll love these!
- “Overnight Oat + Chia Pudding”
- “Make This Cheap Green Smoothie With Any Blender”
- “I (Finally!) Made Perfect, Easy-Peel Hard Boiled Eggs”