THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.
Quick! Alert the presses!
I’ve found what we’ve all been looking and waiting for: a non-toxic shampoo that actually works for all hair types!
When I want to find something, I dive into a rabbit hole of research. I’m. Determined.
So, when I decided to make the all-natural, organic, sulfate-free, vegan shampoo commitment a few years ago, I did just that. I researched the s*** out of the “natural shampoo” category. (To learn why I made the switch from conventional items to toxin-free makeup, skincare, shampoo, cleaning products, etc., read my prior post “Toxic Skincare And Makeup: Are Your Products Safe?”)
In my extensive research, I read rave reviews of many brands. However, when I tried them myself, I was unimpressed.
My hair is fine, oily, and limp (don’t be jealous!), which is apparently the exact recipe for a nontoxic shampoo disaster. I also refuse to throw a product away without finishing it, so that’s why this journey has been extra painstaking and long-lasting.
I want to save you from all that hassle!
Call me crazy, but this is what I expect from a shampoo:
It actually cleans my hair.
It cleans my hair so well that I only need to wash it 2-3 times a week.
It scores less than a 2 in Environmental Working Group’s (EWG’s) Skin Deep Database, meaning it’s nontoxic (free from sulfates and other unnecessary chemicals).
It’s safe for color-treated hair. (When I started my search, I was dying my hair. Now, I’m embracing the gray, but I still think it’s important for a shampoo to be gentle enough that it won’t remove color.)
That’s not too much to ask, right? Wrong.
Like I said, I read practically every review by all of the so-called expert in the natural beauty field, but I wasn’t 100% sold on any of the recommended shampoos. (To be fair, I’m dealing with that terrible trio of fine, oily, limp hair, so it’s really not their fault!)
These are the shampoos I tried:
- Dr. Bronner’s
- PURA D’OR Scalp Therapy Shampoo
- Christina Moss Naturals Organic Shampoo
- NaturOli Soap Nut Shampoo
- Era Organics Extra Nourishing & Hydrating Shampoo
- Up until my discovery of the best nontoxic shampoo ever, this was my favorite. It definitely lathered and cleaned my hair better than all of the above, but it wasn’t awesome. I still had to wash my hair 5ish times per week, which is one thing I’m trying to avoid.
I was trying to stay in the $20 range. I refused to pay more, which I now realize was a mistake. You truly do “get what you pay for.”
All of the above still have excellent reviews on Amazon, so they certainly work for some people. However, those people probably haven’t tried…
The BEST nontoxic shampoo for all hair types:
EVOLVh UltraShine Moisture Shampoo!
This shampoo meets all five of my criteria…and more! It doesn’t disappoint!
- It lathers beautifully. If you’ve tried as many natural shampoos as I have, you know this is a rarity.
- It actually cleans my fine, oily hair, and it works so well that I only need to wash my hair a few times each week. (I usually only wash my hair on days I go to the gym. If I didn’t sweat so much while working out, I’d probably only need to wash my hair twice a week!) Even when I was using conventional shampoos filled with sulfates and other chemicals, I had to wash my hair almost every day. EVOLVh cleans better than any typical shampoo; again, this is a rarity in the natural realm.
- I only need to use a dime-sized amount on my medium-length hair, so it lasts a long time. My first bottle lasted four months!
- My husband has thick, dry, curly hair, and it also works for him. I’ve had guests with all sorts of hair types stay with me and use it; they all agree that it’s amazing!
- It volumizes, so my naturally limp hair is now full of life!
- According to the product description on Amazon, it’s “Sulfate Free, Paraben Free, Gluten Free, Vegan” and “Safe For Keratin Smoothing Treatments”
- It’s not listed on EWG’s site, so I created my own product report. (I’m a nerd like that!) According to my findings, it scores a 1 on Skin Deep’s scale, meaning it’s extremely nontoxic!
- The only “con” I can think of—and I wouldn’t even consider it a real con (hence “con” in quotes!)—is that this shampoo costs around $30. It’s a bit on the pricier side. However, as mentioned above, I only need to wash my hair twice each week and my first bottle lasted four months. All of the cheaper nontoxic shampoos I tried only lasted about two months because I had to wash my hair so often. Basically, you get what you pay for; EVOLVh is worth the money!
My hair and conditioner don’t mix. However, many people also swear by EVOLVh’s Ultrashine Moisture Conditioner:
The brand also makes a leave-in conditioner if that’s your speed:
Really, since EVOLVh did what I thought couldn’t be done—they made the most incredible nontoxic shampoo in the world!—I’d trust any of their products. They have many more, including a volumizing leave-in conditioner and a styling lotion.
If you try and love EVOLVh’s shampoo as much as I do, shoot me a message on Instagram (@thehealthinvestment) or drop me an email (firstname.lastname@example.org). I love hearing from you!
Bottom line: EVOLVh UltraShine Moisture Shampoo wins the nontoxic shampoo game by a landslide!
⇒ Wanna work with me one-on-one? I provide expert coaching through a foolproof formula: self-awareness + sustainable habits + simple swaps = lifelong WELLth! Click here to learn more!
⇒ To optimize every aspect of your health, visit My Favorite Things! There, you’ll find links to healthy packaged foods, toxin-free products, and overall wellness boosters.
⇒ Like this post? Then you’ll LOVE these!
- “Nontoxic Makeup Exists…And It’s Incredible!”
- “Natural Body Lotion: The 3 Best Non-Greasy, Hydrating Formulas”
- “Natural Deodorant: 3 Brands That ACTUALLY Work”