Managing Stress After A “Small” Heart Attack | Phil Barth
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | Email | TuneIn | Help! I've never subscribed to a podcast before!!
EPISODE 167 – In August 2001, Phil Barth wandered into a Toastmasters meeting in West Chester, Ohio. He joined that night and has been talking non-stop ever since. In 2011 Phil finished in the Top 10 (out of 30,000 competitors) in the Toastmasters World Championship of Public Speaking. In 2018 he finished in the Top 20. In 2015 he finished in the cardiac wing of Bethesda North Hospital in Montgomery Ohio. The trip to the cardiac wing didn’t help his 2015 speech contest performance, but it did help him learn how to manage stress, which in turn led him to becoming a two time (so far) author. Phil is the author of the International best (sort of) selling book Great Things Happen Every Day—a book about recovery from a heart attack, banana milkshakes and rummage sales. For his 15 minutes of fame, Phil won $32,000 on the TV game show “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire” in 2002. Phil, his wife Beth, three sons, three dogs, and cat live in the greater Cincinnati area. In the episode, Phil shares stress-reducing mindset shifts he’s adopted after his “small” heart attack in 2015, how a daily gratitude practice can be an antidote to stress, why you actually CAN’T do it all…and more!
EPISODE WEBPAGE: thehealthinvestment.com/167
P.S. – If you’re liking The Health Investment Podcast, be sure to hit “subscribe/follow” so that you never miss an episode 🙂
QUESTIONS I ASK PHIL IN THE EPISODE:
- How does someone know if they’re too stressed? Is it obvious, or is it common to think you’re not stressed when really you are?
- What are some of the most common misconceptions about stress?
- Can we really “manage” stress? What are some things people turn to in their attempts to “manage” stress that don’t work well, in your opinion.
- What routines do you use to start your day in a low-stress frame of mind?
- What is the number one way to lower stress?
- What music do you recommend to lower stress?
- Do you ever have a bad day?
- What book(s), other than your own, do you recommend most?
- How do you step out of your comfort zone?
LINKS [SOME MAY BE AFFILIATE LINKS; PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO]:
- Visit Phil’s website, read his books, and connect with him on Facebook
- Read Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity
- “My Unbiased Thrive Market Review (AND A Shopping List!)” – save money on your first Thrive Market order by clicking here
- Click here when you’re ready to lose 5-50 pounds permanently!
- Follow The Health Investment Podcast on Instagram
- Follow host Brooke Simonson on Instagram
- Email Brooke: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Shout out to Christian Juarez for the theme music! (Click here to visit his Soundcloud!!)