EPISODE 119 – Dr. Jane Tornatore is a therapist, speaker, and author based in Seattle, WA; she has been in private practice for 15 years. Her style incorporates compassion, curiosity, deep listening, and heartfelt optimism, along with powerful shots of playfulness. Jane has dedicated her career and her life to helping people love themselves and have self-compassion. She received a Master’s degree at the University of Illinois, and a PhD at the University of Minnesota. Before going into private practice, she spent two decades working in the field of Alzheimer’s, including research and working for the Alzheimer’s Association. She has authored over 20 articles and just published a book—Everything is Perfect, Just Not ME! A Roadmap for Self-Acceptance. In the episode, Jane shares quick, tangible exercises for overcoming perfectionism; where perfectionist tendencies come from; how to achieve more balance between your personal and professional life…and more!
EPISODE WEBPAGE: thehealthinvestment.com/119
P.S. – If you’re liking The Health Investment Podcast, be sure to hit “subscribe/follow” so that you never miss an episode 🙂
QUESTIONS I ASK JANE IN THE EPISODE:
- Can you tell us a bit about your background? (Specifically, what led you to become a therapist and eventually write your book Everything is PERFECT, Just not ME!?)
- I know you had your own journey to overcoming perfectionism. Can you share a bit more about that?
- What’s the first step to overcoming perfectionism and loving yourself for who you are?
- How does someone become a perfectionist in the first place?
- I know you encourage the exercise of saying, “I’m the kind of person who_____ (fill in the blank).” I have my clients do this when working towards habit change! Love it!! Can you explain a bit more about it?
- Do you have any other tangible exercises that are really useful for overcoming perfectionism and boosting self-confidence/love?
- You say that we have the power to change our thoughts. How can we do this?
- Is it possible to achieve balance between your personal and professional life?
LINKS [SOME MAY BE AFFILIATE LINKS; PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO]:
- Visit Jane’s website, read her book, and download her free guide
- Other books mentioned in the episode: Train Your Brain and Atomic Habits
- Get a bottle of sugar- and additive-free wine for a penny!
- Click here to lose 5-50 pounds for the LAST time so you can start showing up as the trimmest, healthiest, most confident, most energized version of yourself!
- Follow The Health Investment Podcast on Instagram
- Follow host Brooke Simonson on Instagram
- Email Brooke: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Shout out to Christian Juarez for the theme music! (Click here to visit his Soundcloud!!)